International Society of Hymenopterists
ISH Student ICE Travel Awards
Purpose and value of the awards: The Society has created these awards to support and encourage postgraduate students working on the systematics, ecology, physiology or some other aspect of the insect order Hymenoptera, which is being undertaken as part of a postgraduate program (MSc, PhD or equivalent qualification). They will be advertised on a regular basis through the Society. For this round, the Society has allocated funds for two US$1,000 travel awards specifically to attend the International Congress of Entomology in Orlando, Florida (25-30 September, 2016). To be eligible for one of these travel awards a student must give a poster or oral presentation at the conference. Supervisors must be able to state that applicants are registered graduate students at their institution, who have not submitted their theses by the due date, 11th January, 2016.
Eligibility and application process: Only full-time postgraduate students are eligible to apply and they must be members of the Society. The application needs to be written in English, in a font no smaller than times new roman 12 point, single-spaced with one inch (2.5 cm) margins. The application needs to contain the following Information:
· Full name
· Institutional address
· Telephone number and email address
· Name and email address of principal supervisor/major professor
· Degree program (PhD, etc); title of research project
· Time since starting this degree (years and months)
· Title and Abstract for the ICE poster/oral presentation
· Budget for attending the conference (including the $1,000 award and other possible sources of funding)
· Explanation of how the award will enhance the student’s research (500 words max.)
· Statement of student professional and outreach activities (250 words max.)
· Endorsement letter from principal supervisor/major professor
Obligation after ICE: The awardees will be expected to write a short report about their experiences during ICE for inclusion in Hamuli, the newsletter of the International Society of Hymenopterists.
Deadline and Selection Process: Applications must be emailed to the Secretary of the Society (email@example.com) by 11th January 2016 as an attached Word document or pdf file. A committee of three senior members of the Society will assess the applications and select the winners. The decision of the committee will be final. The winner will be announced by the President of the Society.
There are no restrictions on country for this award.